Wednesday, November 2, 2011

I certainly don’t get Bieber fever

NYC signing September 1,2009 Nintendo Store - NYCImage via WikipediaWhat do so many people see in Justin Bieber?

Now I admit that in my day I swooned over the likes of Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and even Andy Williams. I loved music by Michel Legrand, Henry Mancini, and Johnny Mercer. I love music. And I wonder what ever happened to it.

Sorry, but I just can’t put Justin Bieber into the same category as these greats whose music will live on timelessly. People are still enjoying John Lennon’s “Imagine.” Three generations have known The Beatles’ classics. And Elvis—everybody on the planet knows Elvis’ music.

Will Justin Bieber’s music stand the test of time? I don’t think so. At least not from what I heard last night when he performed on Dancing with the stars. He performed a number with Boyz II Men. Those guys have talent. They so outshined Bieber that I was almost embarrassed for him.

I admit this was really my first exposure to Bieber, so I hope I’m not characterizing him unfairly. I have heard his song “Baby” and except for it being a catchy tune, I doubt it will ever be a classic. In fact, it is now a little annoying.
Now this is not to say that Justin Bieber isn’t a stand-up guy. I also watched the clip of Ellen where he donated $100,000 and a free performance to poor students at a school in Las Vegas. That was very charitable of him. Put into perspective though, what is $100,000 to someone whose net worth is nearing $100 million?

Bieber started out as a cute kid who could sing, but he seems to be so strongly influenced by black performers that he emulates them. He’s no Usher, John Legend, Seal, or Michael Jackson, artists with their own particular style and sound.

I’m sorry, there is just something wrong about a baby-faced white kid, his pants slung far below his waist, as he tries to saunter on stage singing as if he is black. He isn’t. If he can sing, I didn’t notice. I’ve heard American Idol contestants that sounded better.

In my opinion, if Justin Bieber has a future in the music business, he should develop his own style and his own brand and stop trying to be a wannabe.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. This made me smile as I have no idea what the hype is either! I heard on a radio morning program that when President Obama was in Australia that the questions he fielded from some elementary children were questions about the Beibster! And he's not even American. LOL

    Surfed on over from AWB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment and the visit Gina.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.