Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spectacular Spring

This Spring has been absolutely spectacular. Thanks to the hard work of my husband who has done the heavy lifting, or should I say heavy digging, this Spring has been a joy to behold.

This white lilac is a good example of one of many successes we have enjoyed this season. It has been a spectacular Spring, with a color pallet filled with every conceivable shade of green. A whole other pallet includes all the other colors. I don't know which is better, the pinks, purples, yellows, or those glorious greens.

Winter was long. It seemed as though it took so much time to get here, but it was worth the wait. With the trees fully leafed as well as shrubs and flowers blooming, I could not be more satisfied.

I was especially pleased to see this plant bloom. In only its second year, it was loaded with tall spikes of tiny perfect flowers.

Planting this particular plant was deliberate. It was planted to honor my late father. It was similar to a variety he planted so many years ago. I had little interest in gardening in those days, yet I do recall how enamored he was with his double white lilac. And, I never forgot its unmistakably sweet fragrance. I didn't hesitate when I saw this plant in a catalogue.

So Dad, this one's for you. I wish you were here to enjoy it with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I'd love to hear from you.